Monday, August 31, 2015

My First Half Marathon!

I was not always into running. Rather for most of my childhood I was into running away from running. I mean yes like every other child I did participate in the cliched 100 m race and perhaps I won it couple of times. But that did not inculcate in me a runner. In fact I liked the Jalebi race more or the Slow cycling race for that matter. Moreover those days I was into cricket and that meant not much running. In college days, I did start my Football career but that was more like a cameo and ended before it even began. Double muscle tear in both legs kept me out of the football field. Perhaps my legs were not ready for such a dose in that short a time.

That was followed by a bench sitting corporate job for couple of years and a year long UPSC preparation that kept my legs on a honeymoon. But then something significant happened the details of which you can read in The ITBP Story. So when I was forced to run like mad on the roads of Mussoorie overseeing the beautiful city of Dehradun that I fell in love with the idea of running. The initial days were difficult with the dearth of oxygen in the air and the bleeding noses but in that pain was hidden such a joy which cannot be expressed here unfortunately.

Science might tell you that upon exercising your body releases Endorphin and that results into this feel good factor but for me the joy of running cannot be equated with other forms of exercise. Some find calmness in meditation, some in isolation, many find it in music but for me, its the act of running. Uncanny yes but true to the core. And at the end of every run, I feel this great sense of accomplishment. It's not about the quantum of distances, the time targets or the breaking of records. Just and just the act of running.

So, ITBP pushed my limits. And then I wanted more and more. When I moved to IRS I knew that it is going to be difficult keeping the culture of running as this service did not demand that kind of physical stamina but with god's grace I continued the momentum that was built up. And then one day on my laptop screen flashed an ad for the upcoming marathon which was to be organized in Hyderabad after a couple of months. I checked our training schedule and fortunately we were suppose to be in Hyderabad only. And that was it. A decision was taken. I am also thankful to Prianceau Pandey and Geeta for agreeing to take part along with me.

And finally the day was here. We had to start pretty early as the start time was 6 am and the place was far off from the academy. We have to say that the Gods really wanted us to run the Marathon that day. When we were on way in our cab suddenly we heard loud horns coming from a vehicle approaching us from behind at an unbelievable pace. It passed us in a fraction of a second and then swirled at that mighty pace eventually hitting the divider on that road. It came to a sudden halt with all the windows shattering into pieces. The driver of that vehicle was perhaps unconscious and one other was thrown outside by the impact. Luckily there were many marathon volunteers who rushed to their rescue. Our driver stopped our vehicle as clearly he was in deep shock. What the hell just happened. We too looked at one another in disbelief. Couple of inches here and there and that was it. I thanked the Gods for that escape. We all did perhaps. Those guys in that vehicle were probably all dead drunk. It's a shame how irresponsible people put in danger the lives of strangers. Don't drink and drive. How difficult it is to understand?

Anyway, in sometime we reached the Starting point still a little shaken but soon the euphoria started to creep into us. People from all directions were pouring into the holding arena. We reached just in time for the start of the Full Marathon. We ran towards the dividers to cheer the runners. I was amazed to see so many elderly people taking part in the full marathon. And here I was scared of the Half marathon. That was such a confidence booster. After they had gone, participants of the half marathon assembled in the grounds and the group warm up sessions started as some veterans volunteered to help others out. It was great warming up with so many people alongside the Hussain Sagar lake, the texture of which was slowly getting brighter as the light started to break the horizon. Oh, so beautiful!

 And it was about time. People started to move towards the holding area again. My heart pounced. I suddenly felt this weird pain through my shin bone. It was that feeling all over again. That feeling which had ended my football career once. I hate that feeling. But it can't be. I have taken enough rest and warmed up well. Why was it there then? But now surely no going back, i told myself. We moved to the starting point. I have to say I was pretty nervous. Not able to run now would be heartbreaking. The whistle went off, the crowd cheered and shouted in euphoria. I did too but not without a little anxiety. I started my music player and ironically the first song that came up was "अरे रुक जा रे बन्दे, अरे थम जा रे बन्दे"!

For the initial few kilometers the road was completely jammed by participants. Hardly any place to overtake others and move forward swiftly. We jogged for the most part of this early run but then I guess it was good for my legs to get just the right kind of warm up. As we moved forward the pain began to sub-cede and the confidence shot up like a rocket. I was roaring to go. But then this marathon for me was not about getting the perfect timing. It was only about completing it and making sure that my team also completes it. Pandey had been training with me since Faridabad and had become a pro by now and ergo I asked him that he should make it in within two hours. On the other hand, Geeta had just started training few weeks back. Though she is a great athlete but running half marathon can be a little taxing without proper practice. So in essence my mission was to ensure that Geeta finishes the run within time. And full credit to her persistence and for tolerating my nagging acts of motivation throughout the run.

So we were somewhere in the middle of the run and one of these volunteers was holding a plate full of a white powder. Now for a marathon rookie like me, is it wrong to assume that the white substance is nothing but glucose. I grabbed a handful of that and placed it right it my mouth before realizing that it was salt for crying out loud. For a second, it felt like I had a stroke or something. I spited it all out but carried the taste for some other kilometers to come. And I just couldn't stop laughing at myself for some more kilometers. Shit happens, I should take it with a pinch of salt, I told myself. Errr...what!

Throughout the whole marathon, there were people standing and cheering up for the runners. There were cute little children standing outside their houses holding hand made placards encouraging participants to run. They were jumping up and down in joy and clapping for us. That was very very touching. Then there were bands playing alongside the roads pumping up the runners to go ahead and finish what they started. The beats surely helped us to keep our rhythm alive. Then there were elderly people shouting at top of their voices and inspiring us with their zeal. It gives you immense strength when you see people backing you up without any personal gain at sight. You could literally feel the bond of love with those kind strangers. And lastly I want to mention this specially able person who had no legs, was sitting on his wheel chair and cheering for the marathon runners. I clapped my hands looking at him. He reciprocated. My eyes reacted. Tears of joy.

I have to admit, there were quite a few occasions when I felt like abandoning Geeta and running at my own pace especially when she denied even to brisk walk. But then I figured, giving up is so freaking easy. I pursued with renewed zeal adopting new techniques to motivate her. One of which proved very helpful. Pushing her aggressively. Sorry Geeta, but that worked. Didn't it? Finally we were there. We could see the finish line. And that suddenly took away all the pain. We were pouncing like a crouching tiger. Ferociously. We made it. In time. We had just completed a half marathon. That feeling, pure bliss, I tell you.

Thank you almighty, for this wonderful experience.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

The feeling that I got when I completed half marathon was unexplainable....the credit of that feeling goes to u ....my heartfelt thanks to you

Kaushik said...

Great stuff Swapnil! Special credit to you for pushing along Geeta!

Genie said...

Thanks Kaushik. The original idea was to take a slightly bigger team from IRS but unfortunately the attachments overlapped.